Throughout my career, marketing communications techniques have underscored every business pursuit from television news broadcasting to establishing a thriving travel consulting business to working as a nonprofit development director as well as my own clients. Whether it has been a writer, business owner, or corporation, the basics are the same:
- Identify the target audience.
- Determine techniques available such as branding, graphic design, social media access and online marketing capabilities.
- Develop a strategic marketing plan to effectively reach target market.
- Implement the plan.
In my work, I leverage the basic principles of marketing communications with three, well-used components that are the source of my success for nearly 40 years:
- Imagination Formula: Imagination + Knowledge = Creative Ideas
- STOP—See The Other Possibilities
- Ask these questions to open up new ideas, new potential, or possibilities:
- What if?
- What would it be like?
- Who wrote that rule?
- Why do we have to think outside the box? Maybe the box has the answers.
These are the tools of my trade. I give a gold star to my college alma mater, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona for its tremendous hands-on approach to learning.